The 50 States of Incorporation series is back from a quick holiday hiatus and heading on over to The Treasure State to learn how to incorporate in Montana today! Best known for its mountain ranges, 77 of which are a part of the Rocky Mountains, Montana’s biggest employer is agriculture. About two-thirds of the total state land is devoted to farmland including ranches and cereal grain farming.
On Forbes, it ranks as #26 on the best states for business list and while the state stays on middle ground for its economic climate and business costs, it is noted for being new business friendly. The SBA reports that residents within the state launched more new business per capita there than any other state there in the past three years.
Sounds like the place for your start-up? Here are some extra details to keep in mind about how to form an LLC or incorporate in Montana.
- Whether you run a storefront or an online based business, you won’t need to worry about determining the amount of sales tax to charge – Montana is one of the few states that doesn’t implement a sales tax. (Other states include Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, New Hampshire and Oregon.)
- According to the Montana Department of Commerce, not every business in Montana requires a business license. You can figure out whether or not your business is a part of that group by visiting their website here.
- A registered agent is required for Montana LLCs with a physical address in Montana.
- If your LLC is formed outside of Montana, you can still do business in the state if you file for a Certificate of Authority of Foreign Limited Liability Company with the Secretary of State, provide a certificate of good standing/existence from their home state, and pay a fee. If a foreign LLC cannot use the name it was formed under, you can file a Registration of Assumed Business Name Application.
- For LLCs and corporations alike, the state generally completes filings within four weeks and with rush filing one week.
- For corporations with Articles of Incorporation, director information is required.
Have a few more questions about incorporating in Montana? Give us a call at 1-(877) 692-6772, or leave a comment below!