This year’s tax filing deadline of April 18, 2016 will be here before you know it. Whenever you get around to doing your taxes, be sure to use these time and money-saving tips:
- File sooner rather than later! Rushing to finish your taxes at the last minute can easily lead to avoidable typos. If you’re waiting to file because you owe taxes, you can still e-file now – just schedule your payment any time before April 18. (Calendar year S and C corporation returns are due March 15. Personal 1040 and partnership 1065 returns are due April 18). Filing earlier may also reduce the chance for tax return identity theft. The sooner your return is filed, the less opportunity there is for someone to file a fraudulent tax return using your name and Social Security number.
- Get organized. Gather all the tax forms, statements and receipts you need before you start your taxes. You’ll finish your taxes faster and more easily. And don’t forget a copy of last year’s return to help make sure you don’t forget anything this year. Not sure what you need? Use a free checklist.
- Don’t pay too much to do your taxes. Take just a few minutes to compare the top DIY brands. How much is the product that includes the forms you need for your tax situation? Does that price include your state income tax return? Remember, you can take most online products for a drive since you don’t typically have to pay until you’re ready to file. Additionally, TaxAct is offering a special rate for MyCorporation customers.
- Double check your return for typos. Before you e-file, make sure this commonly mistyped information is correct on your return:
- Birth dates
- Social Security numbers
- Names, especially of dependents – must be identical to what’s on Social Security cards
- Bank routing and account numbers
- Choose the fastest path to your refund. E-file and choose direct deposit to get your refund the fastest way possible. The IRS issues more than nine out of 10 refunds in less than 21 days.
TaxAct provides the best deal in tax so individuals, business owners and tax professionals can save money on tax preparation. A leading provider of affordable digital and download tax software, the company’s mission is to empower people to navigate the complexities of tax and finance with ease and accuracy at a fair price. TaxAct has long-offered a Price Lock Guarantee on its products, ensuring its customers pay the price listed for their selected product at the time they started their return, no matter when they file. TaxAct was one of the top three visited online tax preparation destinations last tax season and has assisted with approximately 60 million e-filed federal returns since 2000. To learn more about TaxAct, a business of Blucora, Inc., connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.