Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, is critical to reaching online success for a small business. However, many people don’t know how exactly it can be helpful in their marketing plan. For example, everyone knows that SEO defines a business’s online presence, but knowing how potential customers find you is unclear but critical information.
Figuring out the different strategies you need to rank higher and reach a larger audience is the only way to deliver your message to customers and increase the chance of getting a desired response.
How to Use SEO to Advance Your Digital Marketing
One can integrate SEO into digital marketing strategy in a wide range of ways. This is explained by the fact that SEO approach became more holistic and outlined specific areas in which collaborates with other disciplines.
1. Content Strategy. High-quality content is a must in today’s online business. It also happens to be a critical SEO asset that takes most of the budget allocated by companies on optimization. Together, SEO and a strong content strategy can significantly increase the quality of online presence of a business and enhance its authority and image.
For example, SEO defines the characteristics of a content strategy that allows to get noticed. A holistic content strategy based on a thorough SEO research identifies target audience, their needs and preferences, types of content they want to consume.
Studying characteristics of high-performing content is an excellent example of how SEO and digital marketing collaborate to deliver better results. For example, one of the characteristics is the average word count of a Google first page result. It is 1,890 words, according to Backlinko.
2. Social Media Marketing. If SEO strategy and social media program are not in line, a business will not accomplish the goals of enhancing online presence. For example, a lack of social media effort results in a loss of traffic that could be generated through social shares.
“Social media marketing serves as an indicator of the performance of the content strategy in our company,” says Kenny Wang, a marketing head at AWriter.
3. Conversion. A business can improve organic results if it combines the power of SEO and conversion tactics. For example, if one is able to match a great user experience with the right content strategy, more satisfied customers will demonstrate desired behaviors.
To achieve this goal, businesses use heat maps. They can improve SEO in various ways. According to Crazy Egg, it can help to determine ideal content length and structure, test the structure and elements of a website’s pages, improve internal links, optimize image placement with scrollmaps, boost conversions, and engage outbound links and related posts.
4. Website Development. Digital marketing success can be achieved by a close collaboration between SEO experts and web developers. There are a number of critical areas that can be addressed by this collaboration, including knowledge sharing, speed optimization, mobile optimization, and technical audit.
All these areas are important for ensuring a perfect user experience, and therefore, reaching goals for a small business.
How to Create an SEO Strategy that Works
In order for SEO to work for a small business, it needs to be seen as a rapidly-evolving tool that needs to collaborate with all other strategies. SEO strategy can become a tool for tracking the performance of a small business.
Here are the areas that you should address to create an SEO strategy that enhances your digital marketing strategy.
- Identify Target Audience. When SEO became a buzz word, it was mainly about attracting as much traffic as possible. Today, however, businesses employ a more focused approach and target specific groups of customers who have the biggest value for the business. Google Analytics is the perfect tool for identifying them.
- Convert Social Media into a Profitable Marketing Channel. Everyone knows how important social media is to business success because users begin Internet search there. By creating highly relevant, useful, and interesting content, a business can increase conversion and greatly enhance digital marketing strategy.
- Create Quality Content. SEO experts together with content producers are the ones that provide content that boosts traffic. They focus on facilitating the conditions that create positive behaviors on the site; for example, they produce natural, easy-to-consume, and focused content that target audience needs.
- Conduct Analysis of Ranking. Search engine ranking is a strong indicator of the performance of the digital marketing strategy. For example, a business may track relevant website metrics including organic traffic, organic bounce rate, organic conversion rate, top exit pages for organic traffic, and many more others.
SEO overlaps with many important areas of digital marketing, so it can be a great help to achieve better results for a small business. It’s an art to the visibility that is needed to achieve high performance. So, work on SEO on a constant basis to make a difference in your digital marketing strategy.
Nancy Spektor has sharpen her pencil at The Daily of the University of Washington. After graduation she decided to combine her business degree with her passion for written communication at college-paper.org. Nancy writes about marketing strategies, content management and various other topics that she finds intriguing. If she is not composing on her laptop or notebook, you probably can find her playing with her dog, Bok Choy.