This week’s Awesome Affiliate, Safe ID Lock, shares some tips on how to avoid getting your virtual identity stolen in a public wi-fi setting:
Small Business Owners BEWARE of Wi-Fi.
Public wireless networks – those Wi-Fi hotspots in coffee shops, libraries, airports, hotels, universities, and other public places allow people to access the internet through a shared network. While convenient, they’re often not secure. You’re sharing the network with strangers, and some of them may be interested in your personal information on your computer.
Protect Your Information
So what can you do to protect your information? Here are a few tips:
* When using a Wi-Fi hotspot, only log in or send personal information to websites that you know are fully encrypted. And keep in mind that your entire visit to each site should be encrypted – from the time you log in to the site until you log out. If you think you’re logged in to an encrypted site but find yourself on an unencrypted page, log out right away.
* Don’t stay permanently signed in to accounts. When you’ve finished using an account, log out.
* Use different passwords on different websites. It could give someone who gains access to one of your accounts access to many of your accounts.
* Pay attention to those annoying warnings. Many web browsers alert users who try to visit fraudulent websites or download malicious programs. Keep your browser and security software up-to-date.
* Use a virtual private network (VPN), if you regularly access online accounts through Wi-Fi hotspots. VPNs encrypt traffic between your computer and the internet, even on unsecured networks. You can obtain a personal VPN account from a VPN service provider. In addition, some organizations create VPNs to provide secure, remote access for their employees.
Safe ID Lock offers full identity protection and monitoring to alert you in the event your identity becomes compromised and put you in control of what to do next. Restoring one’s name and good credit can be a time-consuming and expensive process. Victims may endure a number of costly steps to dispute fraudulent debt and accounts opened by an identity thief.
Safe ID Lock provides you with the assistance you need.
Some of the benefits:
– Daily Credit Monitoring with 24/7 Access to your Credit Report and Score.
– Personal Identity monitoring for over 700 Billion elements of data (and growing daily)
– “Recovery Butler” in case your identity is stolen to handle the paperwork, phone calls, and notifications needed to get your identity restored for you.
– $1,000,000, zero deductible, Identity Theft Insurance for expenses, lost wages (see website for details)